How To Get Maximum Height Bulkhead


Bulkhead Framing Maximum Height

Maximum Height Bulkhead Framing

When framing a bulkhead in a space with limited headroom like a basement.  Every inch of height the bulkhead drops down can make a big difference.  I used this method to maximize the headroom of the bulkhead that was to be covered with drywall.

First, the outside frame is done with standard framing.  I used 2x3's for this.  It seemed that 2x4's would be overkill and just add to the overall size of the bulkhead.  I tried using 2x2's but I found it was difficult to find pieces that were straight enough and I felt they just were not going to be strong enough either.

Next, I set the height of the 2x3 framing to be 3/4" below to lowest point of the duct-work in the bulkhead I was framing in.  A laser level can really help with that task.  Then, using high quality 1x4's, I spanned the width of the bulkhead.  Everything was attached using screws.

In the example in the picture, to minimize the overall span, I added 2x3 framing in the middle area for extra support.

Bulkhead Framing Maximum Height

Here's another example of using middle framing to avoid a spanning board that would have reduced the bulkhead height.  Here, since the middle frame was 16" or less to the outer frame, no spanning board was used.  This worked out because I found with the laser level that the duct-work in this section dipped a little lower than the other areas.

So instead of taking the easy way out and just blindly framing spanning boards across the bottom of the bulkhead, taking some extra time to frame middle sections and using 1x4" spanning boards, you can maximize your bulkhead height.

Bulkhead Framing Maximum Height


Oh yeah, three years later and there's no cracks, drooping or screw pops.



Previous Post Next Post